2.25.2013

Doug & Carlie - Lisa Smartt ★★★ 1/2

I've been debating on whether to give Doug & Carlie by Lisa Smartt, three or four stars. I'm very undecided so I'll just go with 3.5.

Carlie is 32 years old, single and working at the Dollar Store, life can't get any better, right? Wrong. It can get better but not for very long. She meets Doug who lives 8 hours away but immediately builds a connection with. After a few weeks of long distance dating, Carlie gets the opportunity of a life time and she needs to decide what to do.

I liked the book because Carlie spoke what was on her mind and didn't hold back. She was truthful, even if sometimes she was more honest then needing to be (IE. Her first email to Doug). I liked it. It's not everyday that you come across someone who just doesn't care and will tell it like it is. I also liked that Carlie made the choice for herself. When deciding to jump at the chance of an opportunity of a lifetime, she doesn't make it because her parents...she doesn't make the decision before of Doug...she makes the decision because its something she wants. She put herself first.

The reasons why I didn't like it and had a hard time deciding on the rating is because with Carlie being the strong independent no nonsense woman, she sure did cry a lot. Everyone cried a lot. Yes there were times that granted the crying (Grieving at a funeral...or two) but it felt like almost every other page someone was crying. For petty little reasons. I may not be as emotional or something but it irritated me. I wanted to yell out, "GROW A PAIR AND STOP CRYING!! GOSH!"  Yes, this bothered me enough to mark it down a full star.

Overall, it was a cute story and there was character development.

No comments:

Post a Comment